Immigration Lawyers LA (Los Angeles): Immigration Questions: How To Change Tourist Visa To Student Visa
If you are currently in the United States on a Tourist B-2 visa and you would like to change it to an F-1 Student Visa, you and your children (F-2 visa for your children) have that option. However a visa status change into F1 is not possible while inside the US. F1 Visa can only be issued at an American Embassy or Consulate abroad.

You must apply and have your admission application accepted by a college or a university before you can apply with the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for change of status.

If you are admitted to the college or the university, you will be sent a Form I-20 by that university. Once you obtain your I-20 form, each of you need to file Form I-539 application to extend or change non-immigrant status to USCIS service center that has jurisdiction over your residence.

There is a $300 filing fee for each application. You will need to submit all applications with yours original valid unexpired I-94 arrival/departure records, your I-20 form, copy biographic date page of all passports, form I-134 Affidavit of support, and financial evidence to prove your or your sponsor have enough fund to support you and your children's expenses while you study full time in US. You and your children are allowed to stay in US while all your I-539 applications are pending at USCIS. All the applications will be considered abandon if all of you leave the US during the processing time.

You always have the option to visit a college or a university and talk to the international student adviser for any questions or guidance.

Last reviewed on: 11/30/-0001
Disclaimer: The information provided at Immigration Lawyers LA is not legal advice, and it's only meant as general information on legal immigration issues commonly encountered. We are not a law firm and we should not be used as a substitute for an attorney or a law firm. All communications between you and Immigration Lawyers LA are protected by our Privacy Policy. However, they are not protected by the attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. Immigration Lawyers Los Angeles cannot provide legal advice and should only be used as a reference to legal resources related to immigration issues. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use.

© All rights reserved.
Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection