Immigration Lawyers LA (Los Angeles): Green Card
Green Cards (also known as Permanent Resident Cards or Alien Registration Cards) allow immigrants to live and work in the United States, and it is the first step to a path towards citizenship. The most common method of obtaining a permanent residency is through sponsorship either by a family member or an employer. But there are also other methods to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.

Green Card Through A Family Sponsorship

You may become a permanent resident of the United States through a sponsorship from a family member. If you have a family member who is an American citizen or a holder of a Permanent Resident Card, you may be qualified to apply for permanent residency if you are the:
  • Spouse, widow, or widower of an American citizen.
  • Child of an American citizen.
  • Parent of an American citizen who is at least 21 years of age.
  • Brother or sister of an American citizen who is at least 21 years of age.
  • Spouse of a Green Card holder.
  • Unmarried child of a Green Card holder.
  • Battered spouse, child or parent of an American citizen or a Green Card holder.
  • Child born in the United States to a foreign diplomat.

Green Card Through An Employment Sponsorship

You may become a permanent resident of the United States through a sponsorship from an employer. You may apply for a Permanent Resident Card if you have a job or an offer of employment if there aren't enough American workers who are qualified and available in the geographic area where the job is located. If you are a highly skilled worker with extraordinary skills in certain professions, you are given priority. Investors and entrepreneurs are also given priority to obtain an Alien Registration Card.

Green Card Through Refugee or Asylum Status

If you have been granted a refugees or an asylum seeker status, you are eligible to apply for a Permanent Resident Card. Refugees are generally people who are outside of their country, and they are unable or unwilling to return to their country because they fear serious harm. Asylum seekers are generally people who meet the definition of refugees, are already in the United States, or are seeking admission at a port of entry. You may apply for asylum in the United States regardless of your country of origin or your current immigration status.

Revocation Of The Green Card

Once you've received your Alien Registration Card, it is important to understand that it can be taken away if you don't follow the rules. If you leave the United States for an extended period of time or commit a crime, you can have your green card revoked. This is one reason why most permanent residents prefer to become United States Citizens as soon as they are eligible.
Disclaimer: The information provided at Immigration Lawyers LA is not legal advice, and it's only meant as general information on legal immigration issues commonly encountered. We are not a law firm and we should not be used as a substitute for an attorney or a law firm. All communications between you and Immigration Lawyers LA are protected by our Privacy Policy. However, they are not protected by the attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. Immigration Lawyers Los Angeles cannot provide legal advice and should only be used as a reference to legal resources related to immigration issues. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use.

© All rights reserved.
Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection